SNAP EBT Farmers Market Sign-Up Events
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, in collaboration with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Education Program (SNAP) has scheduled SNAP EBT Farmers Market sign-up events in Fayetteville for April 22, Louisburg for April 23, and in Greensboro for April 24, giving farmers the chance to enroll as retailers in the SNAP program. Originally set in February, adverse weather forced the events to be moved. Held in conjunction with the United States Department of Agriculture, the sign-up events will be held on:
- Wednesday, April 22 at Fayetteville State University, located at School of Business and Economics Building, 2nd Floor, Office Suite 230, 1200 Murchison Road, Fayetteville, NC 28301 from 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Contact: JurLonna Walker, Fayetteville State Unverisity, 910-672-2413 or email@example.com.
- Thursday, April 23 at the Franklin County Agricultural Services Center, located at 103 South Bickett Boulevard in Louisburg from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Contact: Franklin County Cooperative Extension office at 919-496-3344.
- Friday, April 24 at the Guilford County Extension Office, located at 3309 Burlington Road in Greensboro from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Contact: Guilford County Cooperative Extension office at 336-641-2400.
According to Ivy Murphy, Food and Nutrition Services Program Coordinator for the North Carolina Department of Social Services, “In North Carolina, there are roughly about $203,367,522 in EBT funds and over 1.6 million participants per month. If farmers tapped into 3% of that income per month, it would increase their revenue statewide by $6,101,025 per month. This is why the State is working with USDA to host a EBT sign-up events in Louisburg and Greensboro at the agricultural centers. This will not only increase farmers revenue, but give individuals most in need a way to purchase fresh produce. The goal of FNS/SNAP is to provide individuals living below the poverty level access to healthy foods. The goal of Farm Service and Cooperative Extension is to help farmers increase his/her revenue. I hope we can all work together to make these events successful.”
The events feature a 20-minute presentation and an overview of the sign-up process. It takes 15-30 minutes for farmers to enter, review and select their point-of-sale device. North Carolina SNAP staff will be on hand to assist farmers with the sign-up process.
What to bring to the sign-up event:
1. Picture ID (driver’s license or passport)
2. Social Security Card (or other official document with your name and SSN)
3. Copy of voided check for bank account you will use to deposit funds.
Contacts for more information and to reserve a seat for one of the events:
- Ivy Murphy, NC Dept. of Social Services,919-527-6300.
- JurLonna Walker, Fayetteville State Unverisity, 910-672-2413 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Franklin County Cooperative Extension office (for Louisburg event) at 919-496-3344
- Guilford County Cooperative Extension office (for Greensboro event) at 336-641-2400.
Press Releases for events: