General Tools & Resources on Local Food Systems
Find this page at:
- Building Local and Regional Food Systems, SARE (Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education) Topic Brief
- Community Food Systems Toolkit, University of Wisconsin-Extension
- Farm to Table: Building Local and Regional Food Systems Topic Room, SARE
- Food Value Chains: Creating Shared Value to Enhance Marketing Success
Diamond, A., Tropp, D., Barham, J., Muldoon, M. F., Kiraly, S. and Cantrell, P. U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Agricultural Marketing Service, May 2014.
“A new model of organization is beginning to pop up in the agribusiness sector that seeks to merge social mission objectives with core business operating principles. Known as food value chains, these business arrangements are distinguished by their commitment to transparency, collaborative business planning and exchange of market intelligence and business knowhow among chain partners, and their interest in developing business strategies and solutions that yield tangible benefits to each participant in the system.“
- Comparing the Structure, Size, and Performance of Local and Mainstream Food Supply Chains
King, R.P., et al. Economic Research Report No. (ERR-99), June 2010. “A series of coordinated case studies compares the structure, size, and performance of local food supply chains with those of mainstream supply chains.”
- Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food Compass
U.S. Department of Agriculture tools that allow you to “learn about how USDA and our federal partners support local and regional food economies; see communities putting these resources to work; and explore the map to find out what’s happening near you.”
- Food System Glossary of Terms
Wiki developed by University of Wisconsin-Madison and the Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development with the objective of presenting “a comprehensive guide to food systems and agricultural development–related terms.”
- Local Food Systems
Project of the Agroecosystems Management Program of The Ohio State University, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center and many collaborators in Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania. “Helping entrepreneurs work together to grow businesses rooted in agriculture.”
- Local Food Systems: Concepts, Impacts, and Issues
Economic Research Service, USDA, 2010. “This comprehensive overview of local food systems explores alternative definitions of local food, estimates market size and reach, describes the characteristics of local consumers and producers, and examines early indications of the economic and health impacts of local food systems.”
- National Incubator Farm Training Initiative
Research, Data, and Annotated Bibliographies
- Local Foods: Clarifying Current Research. North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service. 2016.
- An Annotated Bibliography of Publications and Resources on Food Hubs and Values-Based Supply Chains, 2012
“Annotated bibliography of academic literature, reports and publications from non-profits and research firms and articles in trade, government, and other publications. Published in April 2012 by the Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program with support from USDA Rural Development.”
- Community Food Security in the United States: A Survey of the Scientific Literature, 2015
“Community food security (CFS) is a concept that represents a subset of food security oriented toward the community level rather than the individual, national, or global levels, and seeks to account for the social, political, and economic context of food insecurity.” This report synthesizes the latest research and grey literature on community food security in the United States. It also identifies gaps where further research is needed.
- Community Food System Bibliography files, 2013
Bibliography developed at the University of California – Davis lists and annotates published literature from 2000 to 2011 on local and regional food systems. Listing is organized by key topics.
- Farm to School: A Selected and Annotated Bibliography, 2011
“This bibliography attempts to represent selected documentation from a wide range of resources: peer reviewed literature databases, organizational Web sites, report citations, conference proceedings, Cooperative Extension Service publications, and more.” Ritchie and Chen. USDA, ARS, National Agricultural Library, Special Reference Briefs Series, no. SRB 2011-02.
- An Annotated Bibliography of Existing and Needed Research on Food Policy Groups, 2017. Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future.
- USDA Farm to School Census, North Carolina data, 2015
- Low, Sarah A., Aaron Adalja, Elizabeth Beaulieu, Nigel Key, Steve Martinez, Alex Melton, Agnes Perez, Katherine Ralston, Hayden Stewart, Shellye Suttles, Stephen Vogel, and Becca B.R. Jablonski. Trends in U.S. Local and Regional Food Systems, AP-068, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, January 2015.
- Martinez, Steve, et al. Local Food Systems: Concepts, Impacts, and Issues, ERR 97, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, May 2010.
- An Overview of Institutional Food Procurement and Recommendations for Improvement,2015, Johns Hopkins, Center for a Liveable Future. Includes a review of the literature and key information resources regarding institutional food service procurement systems.
- Structural Racism Present in the U.S. Food System, Michigan State University Center for Regional Food Systems. Updated February 13, 2017. Author(s): Anel Guel, Jane Henderson, Rich Pirog, Rachel Kelly, Taylor Wimberg
NC Growing Together
- Research Outputs of NC Growing Together
- Authenticity and Success in Marketing “Local” in Retail Grocery Settings
A summary of research findings and the experiences of local food retailing projects
- 2013 North Carolina Niche Meat Survey: An NC Choices and NC Growing Together Collaborative Study
A report summarizing the results of a spring 2013 telephone survey of registered meat handlers in North Carolina.
- Golden, Sheila. University of California, Davis. 2013. Urban Agriculture Impacts: Social, Health, and Economic. Literature review and annotated bibliography.
- McClintock, N. & Simpson, M. 2014. A Survey of Urban Agriculture Organizations and Businesses in the US and Canada – Preliminary Results. Toulan School of Urban Studies and Planning. Portland State University. July.