Agritourism and Farm Visits
Agritourism is a form of consumer engagement used more and more by farms growing for local markets.
Supportive organizations and specialists
- North Carolina Agritourism Networking Association (ANA) – “The ANA will serve as a statewide proactive advocate for agritourism farmers and as a liaison between and among state-level organizations, field organizations, nonprofits and rural landowners to support and facilitate agritourism.”
- Agritourism Office, NC Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services, Markets Division —- Annie Baggett, Agritourism Marketing Specialist. (919) 707-3120
- Register your farm’s agritourism activities with NCDA&CS. They will help match your farm to potential visitors and tourism decision makers statewide. Register here.
- Agritourism and Societal Well-being Lab, NC State University. Dr. Carla Barbieri.
- People 1st Tourism Lab, NC State University. Dr. Duarte Morais.
- Microentrepreneurship resources
- North Carolina Women’s Success in Agritourism: Turning Challenges into Opportunities (October, 2016)
- Social relationships between wineries and local communities (April, 2016)
- Are neighbors benefiting from wine tourism development? (April, 2016)
- How beneficial is agritourism? NC farmers and residents respond. (December, 2014)
- Agritourism, Farm Visits, Agro-Tourism — Oh My! (August, 2012)
- Using Social Media to Market Agritourism. (2012)
- Agritourism in North Carolina: Comparison of 2005 and 2012 Survey Results. (September 2012)
- Agritourism in North Carolina: Summary of Pilot Study Results. (June 2012)
- Agritourism Farms – NC Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services database of North Carolina farms self-identified as participating in agritourism activities.
- N.C. Cooperative Extension offices in some NC counties facilitate farm tours in their areas. Check with your local Cooperative Extension office for farm tour opportunities. Find your county office here.
- Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project Farm Tour takes place in Western North Carolina in September each year.
- Carolina Farm Stewardship Association Farm Tours are available annually in the Piedmont, Triad and Eastern Triangle regions of North Carolina.
- High Country Farm Tour. Caldwell, Watauga, and Ashe counties.