Local Food Markets & Purchasing
This page includes links to information and resources primarily for consumers and engaged residents who are interested in purchasing local food products.
Where to Find Local Foods
Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project Local Food Guide “A free directory to family farms, farmers tailgate markets, wineries, grocers, restaurants, caterers and bakers, farm stores and stands, farms to visit, B&Bs and farm lodging, apple farms, u-pick farms, CSAs, and distributors in the Southern Appalachians.”
- Farmers’ Markets – Resources for finding farmers’ markets in NC.
- Feast Down East Also known as the Southeastern NC Food Systems Program, FDE is an initiative in southeastern North Carolina established to create a fully integrated local food system.
- NC Farm Fresh NC Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services maintains a self-reported Directory of Farmers Markets as well as Roadside Stands, You Pick operations, and CSAs in North Carolina.
- NC 10% Campaign Partners The goal of the 10% Campaign is to “encourage consumers to commit 10 percent of their existing food dollars to support local food producers, related businesses and communities.” You can also Join the NC 10% Campaign here.
- Selecting North Carolin Seafood – NC Sea Grant Resource
- State and Regional Branding Programs
- USDA Local Food Directories USDA also manages self-reported listings of farmers’ markets, and in early 2015 will also manage lists of CSAs, food hubs, and on-farm markets.
No markets near you?
- Start a Farmers Market near you
- Start a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) or Buying Club near you
- Join or Start a Community Garden near you
Tips on Purchasing Local Food
- NC 10% Campaign’s Make It Local: Food for all Seasons
- Carolina Farm Stewardship Association’s Questions to Ask Your Farmer
State Coordinator, NC 10% Campaign
Center for Environmental Farming Systems
NC State University