Niche Meat Production
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
- NC Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services Meat & Poultry Inspection Division
- USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS)
- Small Plant Help Desk
Newsletters and guidebooks geared to the small and very small federal- and state-inspected establishment owners and operators who produce meat, poultry and egg products. Provides plain language guides for translating FSIS rules and regulations into daily operational practices.
- Small Plant Help Desk
Technical Assistance and General Resources
- NC Choices
NC Choices is a program of the Center for Environmental Farming Systems that advances local meat supply chains by providing networking opportunities, educational programming and technical assistance for producers, meat processors, buyers, and food professionals.
- NC Choices Conferences and Trainings:
- The Carolina Meat Conference – Hands-on meat cutting instruction, panel and round-table discussions, presentations and ample networking opportunities for producers, buyers, processors and other meat professionals
- Women Working in the Meat Business Conference – NC Choices’ Women Working in the Meat Business brings together women farmers, processors, and professionals from across the country who raise, butcher, prepare, and/or market pasture raised meat. In a focused, hands-on setting, women convene in North Carolina for over two days of training, from on-farm management to butchery, by the nation’s top professionals.
- NC Choices News Listserv: The NC Choices News listserv serves as a forum for educational and marketing opportunities as they pertain to local and niche meats.Contact Sheila@ncchoices.com to be added.
- NC Choices Classifieds Listserv: The NC Choices’ Classifieds listserv serves as a forum for meat and livestock commerce. Private individuals and commercial interests may use this service. Contact Sheila@ncchoices.com to be added.
- Amazing Grazing
Amazing Grazing is a pasture-based livestock educational initiative that began at the Center for Environmental Farming Systems in Goldsboro, NC and has developed into a statewide program. The program includes producer workshops, interagency advisor workshops, and research and demonstration projects.
- NC Cattlemen’s Association
Coordinates the promotion of beef and the beef industry in North Carolina. The NCCA is a membership organization that assists cattlemen in legislative, regulatory, and production issues.
- National Niche Meat Processors Assistance Network (NMPAN)
National organization offering “tools and information for small processors, niche meat producers, marketers, and buyers across the United States.
- NMPAN listserv: You can use the NMPAN listserv to ask and answer questions and share information about meat and poultry processing. The listserv has 1,000+ members across the nation including small-scale processors, farmers, ranchers, Cooperative Extension personnel, federal and state employees, and others.
- NMPAN Peer to Peer Consulting: Whether you have a complicated problem or are planning to make a significant change to your processing business, you might benefit from a “thinking partner” – an experienced processor who has been there and can share insights and suggestions.
- Keeping Garden Chickens in North Carolina
North Carolina Cooperative Extension Publication AG-729W, Edwards, A. and Carver, D.K. 2008.
- Backyard Flock & Eggs – Small Flock Management Resources
Resource out of the NC State University, Prestage Department of Poultry Science.
- Anderson, Ken. 2015. Explaining the North Carolina Egg Law for Producers with Small Flocks. N.C. Cooperative Extension Publication, AG-802.
- Pastured Poultry Resources
Link to resources on N.C. Cooperative Extension’s Growing Small Farms web portal.
- Selling Eggs, Meat, and Poultry in North Carolina: What Farmers Need to Know
Resource developed by Debbie Roos, Agricultural Extension Agent, Chatham County, NC.
- Web Resources: Small Scale Livestock
Resources gathered by Debbie Roos, Agricultural Extension Agent, Chatham County, NC.
Project Director, NC Choices
Center for Environmental Farming Systems
NC State University