In 2013, a committee working to develop programming on marketing opportunities for season extension in North Carolina identified additional resources below. An entire listing is available for download here (downloads as pdf).
Additional Books, Reports and Publications
- Bachmann, Janet. 2005. Season Extension Techniques for Market Gardeners. ATTRA Publication #IP035.
- Baldwin, Keith. 2010. Fertilizing Crops in High Tunnels.
- Blomgren, T. and Frisch, T. High Tunnels: Using low-cost technology to increase yields, improve quality and extend the season. University of Vermont Center for Sustainable Agriculture.
- Books by Coleman, Eliot:
- The Winter Harvest Handbook: Year-Round Vegetable Production Using Deep-Organic Techniques and Unheated Greenhouse
- The New Organic Grower: A Master’s Manual of Tools and Techniques for the Home and Market Gardeners.
- Ilic, Pedro. 2004. Plastic Tunnels for Early Vegetable Production. University of California Small Farm Center Family Farm Series Publications.
- O’Connell, S. and Peet, MM. 2013. Organic Heirloom Tomato Production in High Tunnel and Open Field Systems. Southern SARE Ag Innovations.
- Pennsylvania State University. 2006. High Tunnel Production Manual 2nd Edition.
- Ryan, Dave. 2011. Sustainable Season Extension: Considerations for Design. ATTRA Publication #IP416.
- Peronto, Marjorie and Theresa Guethler. 2008. Extending the Gardening Season. University of Maine. Bulletin #2752.
Additional Web-based Resources
- Anderson, Susan. Edible Ginger, Grown Locally.
- ATTRA is a program of the National Center for Appropriate Technology. Several specific resources are linked above under publications. Additional resources may be available through their website. http://attra.ncat.org
- Bullen, Gary. 2009. High Tunnel Budgets. Center for Environmental Farming Systems.
- eXtension – search for season extension or high tunnel. http://www.eXtension.org
- High tunnels website developed collaboratively by Extension Specialists at several LGUs. http://www.hightunnels.org/
- Jones, Doug and Roos, Debbie. Planting and Harvesting Guide for Piedmont Vegetables and Herbs.
- Pool, Kristin. 2010. Introduction to Season Extension in Organic Production Systems. eOrganic – eXtension.
- Roos, Debbie and Jones, Doug. Season Extension: Introduction and Basic Principles.
- SARE Season Extension Topic Room.
Equipment and Supply Resources
This document is a partial list of resources for growers and does not imply endorsement by North Carolina State University, North Carolina A&T State University, or North Carolina Cooperative Extension of any of the companies, products, or organizations listed.