In an age where consumers turn to the internet to find local food, competency and confidence in online sales is critical to the successful producer’s work. This page provides resources and information to assist producers in creating an engaging online presence.
Getting Started with Online Sales
- Online Sales Platforms for Direct to Consumer Sales: this two-page downloadable PDF from the Cooperative Extension Local Food Program provides a straightforward introduction to getting started with online sales, including questions to consider, a list of popular sale platforms (and their pros and cons), and contact information for additional questions.
- Social & Online Media Guide: Building Farm & Food Business Websites: this guide from the Center for Environmental Farming Systems includes step-by-step instructions for building a website and details for using different social media platforms. Free and downloadable.
- How to Create a Free Online Store for your Farm [Webinar Recording]: learn from Chatham County Agriculture Agent Debbie Roos how to easily build an online store for your farm and food business. Includes presentation slides and materials referenced.
- Using Web Marketplaces to Reach Untapped Markets: this Extension Publication highlights several sometimes-overlooked web marketplaces that small food and farm businesses might consider when developing their online presence.
- Direct Marketing of Specialty Food Products: This online, free curriculum from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension Entrepreneurship program helps producers market their value-added products directly to consumers. Your name and email address will be required to access the curriculum.
Online Sales Resources for Meat Producers
- MeatSuite: this a new online directory from NC Choices connects NC meat producers with consumers looking to buy meat in bulk. Producers can sign up to create a profile that will appear in the online directory!