Farm to Institution
Farm to School: Farm to Cafeteria
- Farm to School page
- Farm to Cafeteria page
- NC Farm to School Coalition program brings together local schools, state agencies and organizations together with local farmers to supply healthy nutritious food to our children’s schools. Find Coalition Members near you.
- NC Farm to School North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services Farm to School program supplies school cafeterias across the state with locally grown produce from North Carolina farms. The program works as a broker between school systems and a grower cooperative to provide
- Get Local Food at Your Institution – Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project resource page
- National Farm to School Network
- Training Templates for Schools and Pre-Schools Resources for educators, child nutrition directors, farmers and early child educators, including customizable slide deck, speaker notes, handouts and an evaluation form for training sessions.
Farm to Preschool
- Farm to Preschool/Childcare page
- NC Farm to Early Care & Education (NC F2ECE)
- National Farm to Preschool
Farm to University
Local Food Ambassador Program is a program of the NC 10% Campaign at six NC universities: Elizabeth City State University, Fayetteville State University, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, North Carolina Central University, University of North Carolina at Pembroke, and Winston-Salem State University. The program facilitates teams of students, University Dining, University Sustainability Office, faculty/staff, Cooperative Extension, and area farmers at each of 6 Minority-Serving Institutions to build more resilient food systems on campus by:
- Building awareness of local foods through events and social media
- Encouraging local food collaborations across departments and student groups
- Increasing access to fresh and healthy foods
- Offering paid student positions and leadership training for food system jobs
A two-year project designed to develop new market opportunities for farmers by researching and building collaborative supply chains links from farms to university campuses in North Carolina.
Check out these Farm-to-University resources:
|Farm to University: Guide for Extension Agents|
|How It Works Handbook: University Food Systems and Local Food Programs|
|Campus Local Food Guides|
|Farm to Dorm Cooking Videos|
Farm to Hospital
10 Easy Ways to Incorporate Farm to Hospital into Health and Wellness Programming – Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project resource page
General resources & Publications
- USDA Farm to Institution Initiatives, Know Your Farmer Compass Information on USDA support for development of farm to institution relationships and project case studies.
- Bringing Local Food to Local Institutions A resource guide for farm to institution programs. Updated 2013 Bellows, Dufour, and Bachmann. (Update by Green and Moore.) ATTRA: the National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service, IP#242.
- Institutional Food Purchasing
Michigan Good Food Work Group Report, 2010.
- See also Research and Annotated Bibliographies
State Coordinator, NC 10% Campaign
Center for Environmental Farming Systems
NC State University